2017 Submission Guidelines
Sea Change is open to the entire Cape Cod Community College campus. We accept entries from full- or part-time students, faculty, adjunct faculty, and staff members. We also accept submissions from students, faculty and staff at the Center for Corporate and Professional Education at Cape Cod Community College in Hyannis, MA. All are welcome to submit.
We are presently accepting submissions for the spring 2017 journal. Our deadline is March 1, 2017 at midnight EST.
Cover Letter and Biography
Please include a short note with your submission and a biography of fewer than one hundred and fifty words. Neither piece has to be anything fancy—just a little introduction about yourself and your work. Possible ideas to include are as follows:
- Additional publications and awards
- Past publications in Sea Change
- Membership to any CCCC associations or clubs
- Any relevant artistic or writing experience
- A little about your outside interests or pastimes
We will consider up to two fiction or nonfiction manuscripts (fewer than 1,000 words), up to four poems (1-5 pages each) and up to six visual art pieces. Simultaneous submissions to other publications are acceptable as long as you inform us of the dual submissions and advise us immediately if the work is to be published in another magazine. All work must be previously unpublished to qualify for the journal.
If you are submitting work via email or snail mail, following these simple instructions will streamline the review process. Unfortunately, due to the high volume of submissions, hard copy manuscripts will not be returned.
What to send
- Fiction and non-fiction pieces must be typed, double-spaced, single-sided, in 12 point font, limited to fewer than 1,000 words. Please let us know if the piece is fiction or non-fiction.
- Poetry must be typed, double-spaced, single-sided, in 12 point font, limited to 1 to 5 pages per poem.
- All submission must be created in a Microsoft Word document.
- Please include your name and contact information on your cover letter and in your biography.
- Please number all of your pages.
- Please make a copy of your work as we cannot be responsible for lost submissions. Hard copy manuscripts will not be returned.
Where to send
- To submit electronically (this is encouraged), email: email@example.com.
- For email submissions we accept one email for multiple manuscripts.
- Please make sure the work’s title will appear in the saved file name. Your naming convention should be saved as (title.date submitted).
- To submit a hard copy entry, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for instructions about a paper entry form.
Visual Art and Photography Guidelines
We are happy to accept scanned and/or photographed art. All art must be presented in an electronic format. Please review the following specs when preparing your submission.
What to send
- Art submissions should be in a JPEG or TIFF format.
- All artwork should be a minimum of 300 dpi at 8.5” x 11” size.
- Please specify the medium and size of the original piece of artwork.
- Please include your name and contact information on your cover letter and your biography.
- We accept both black and white and color images.
Where to send
- To submit electronically, email: email@example.com.
- Due to the potential large file sizes, we accept different emails for multiple submissions.
- We accept multiple files via WeTransfer. Website: https://wetransfer.com.
- We will accept physical CDs of your work. Please remember to submit a cover letter and biography with your CD submission.
- Please make sure your title appears in the saved file name. Your naming convention should be saved as (title.date submitted).
Our submission editors are eager to review your creative work and in the words of Thomas Jefferson, “Never put off for tomorrow, what you can do today.” Submitting pieces early gives the Sea Change staff time to be extremely thoughtful with regard to the selection process. It also helps greatly if any minor revisions need to be made to a piece prior to publication. Please consider this final thought when planning your entry.
Our email address is firstname.lastname@example.org. Contact us with any questions. We look forward to reviewing your works. Good luck!